GAPTER: ROS Tutorials¶
Controlling Gapter MAVROS¶
In this tutorial, we will provide the main steps to follow to configure MAVROS and to control Gapter using ROS terminal commands.
Configuring Desktop with MAVROS¶
Prerequisites: Tested on ubuntu 14.04 with ROS Indigo installed
- Open the terminal in your desktop and install the following
user $: sudo apt-get install python-catkin-tools python-rosinstall-generator
- Create a workspace
user $: mkdir -p ~/catkin_ws/src user $: cd ~/catkin_ws /catkin_ws $: catkin init /catkin_ws $: wstool init src
- Get source (upstream – released)
/catkin_ws $: rosinstall_generator --upstream-development mavros | tee /tmp/mavros.rosinstall
- install latest released mavlink package
/catkin_ws $: rosinstall_generator mavlink | tee -a /tmp/mavros.rosinstall workspace & deps /catkin_ws $: wstool merge -t src /tmp/mavros.rosinstall /catkin_ws $: wstool update -t src /catkin_ws $: rosdep install --from-paths src --ignore-src --rosdistro indigo -y finally – build /catkin_ws $: catkin build
ROS Network configuration¶
Before controlling Gapter using ROS, you should first configure ROS network in your desktop.
- Open bashrc in your desktop
1. user $: sudo gedit ~/.bashrc
- Add these lines at the end
1. export ROS_HOSTNAME=192.168.x.xxx 2. export ROS_MASTER_URI=http://192.168.1.1:11311
192.168.x.xxx is your desktop’s ip address and
192.168.1.1 is gapter’s ip address.
For more comprehensive tutorial on Network Configuration on ROS, refer to Network Configuration
Controling Gapter using MAVROS¶
In this tutorial, we will control Gapter using MAVROS. For this you don’t have to install MAVROS on your desktop, but rather on Gapter, because we control Gapter via ssh with Gapter’s onboard computer (Odroid XU4).
Follow these steps:
- First, connect to the WiFi
gapternetfrom your desktop which will be shown in Wi-Fi list. If prompt for password type
- Open the terminal and connect to Gapter’s computer by typing following
user $: ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
If prompts for password, type
Before controlling Gapter, parameters need to be changed based on indoor or outdoor operation
- Now in the same terminal type following to start mavproxy ground station:
odroid $: mavproxy.py --master=/dev/ttyUSB0 --baudrate 57600 --out 192.168.x.xx:5000 --aircraft MyCopter
You must enter your desktop’s IP address in place of
- You can notice heartbeat form Gapter which shows mavlink has been connected
- Type these lines in the same terminal where you can see
MAV>tab on left side
For outdoor operation
MAV> load param /home/gapter/gapter_param/outdoor.param
For indoor operation
MAV> load param /home/gapter/gapter_param/indoor.param
- Once parameters loaded you can stop mavlink by pressing
- In the same terminal launch mavros to connect Gapter using mavros
gapter $ : roslaunch ros_gapter bringup_minimal.launch
Type your desktop ip address in place of
Gapter should be in GUIDED mode to control it from desktop.
Follow these steps in a new terminal.
You should ssh to gapter before running following lines.
This is to arm Gapter
gapter $: rosrun mavros mavsafety arm
You can see Gapter’s propellers are rotating
Change Gapter’s mode to GUIDED mode
gapter $: rosrun mavros mavsys mode -c GUIDED
For takeoff at 3 meters height from current positione
gapter $: rosrun mavros mavcm takeoffcur 0 0 3
For landing Gapter
gapter $: rosrun mavros mavsys mode -c Land