GAPTER: Precautions & Warning¶
- Always maintain at least 5 meters distance from Gapter.
- While controlling with RC make sure that you always face backside of Gapter. Change in orientation confuses to control ROLL and PITCH.
- Make sure battery is 100% before operating Gapter.
- It is always suggested that to check your program in simulation before implementing in real vehicle.
- Always check stability and performance first at lower altitude. Once you notice Gapter holding position, you can work in higher altitudes.
- Use only recommended battery.
- Check Fail Safe parameters to avoid loosing your vehicle.
- In outdoor always work in an open environment to acquire good GPS which is quite needed for good localization performance.
- While working indoor, choose good ground texture. Bad texture may leads Gapter to lean as it couldn’t hold position properly. Also make sure optical flow sensor view is quite clear. Its view should not be disturbed with cables , battery wires and others.
- Once Gapter is turned-on it will take at-least 2 minutes to load all parameters and onboard computer to load all files and network. So please be patient and operate accordingly.
- It is highly recommended to go through tutorials which are available in GaiTech EDU webpage before performing anything with gaper.
- You should be familiar with all kinds of operating modes especially while controlling with RC.
- When you receive gapter calibration is quite necessary. Follow these tutorials: http://edu.gaitech.hk/gapter/gapter-calibration.html for complete calibration.
- Never leave the battery connected to Gapter while battery is low which may lead battery to die. Once battery is notified low , disconnect and ready to change it. It is recommended to charge at lower currents ( < 2A ).
- While connecting Range Finder to autopilot, during opening and closing top frame of Gaper, please be careful with the cables attached. Use proper tools and fix them tightly to avoid damage.
- Always check if any cables or peripherals that may collide with propellers. In such a case tie them using zip tags or any other means to avoid colliding with propellers.
- Fix sensors in right position and tightly. Change in orientation or position of sensors like range finder may leads vehicle to perform abnormal.
- It is warned while controlling Gapter in manual mode. It is always recommended in automatic position mode like GUIDED, LOITER and POS_HOLD mode.
- Be careful while increasing throttle as each point increment of throttle stick may increase altitude large. Be gentle while raising throttle.
- If there is any crash, to stop motors rotating, change to stabilize mode and lower throttle completely.
- While operating indoor, ground plane should be plane and empty. Gapter’s indoor altitude estimation is based on range finder which it calculates distance from ground and hover. While gapter is hovering, if there is any table or other things, gapter’s altitude varies and gapter flies suddenly. So Choose ground surface accordingly.
- Gapter Motors are powerful and propellers are very sharp. It is strongly warned to choose quite open environment while working with gapter and no people around it at least 10 meters away.
- Always hold RC and if any unexpected happened get it to be controlled with RC immediately.
- Each point increment in throttle leads to alter gapter’s altitude at hight rate. So raise throttle slowly.
- While changing modes in RC, as modes are configured based on combination of toggle switches SWC and SWD, toggle switches need to be operated quickly to get desired mode.
- Always make sure all the required information is received and check in ground station before you fly Gapter.
- It is strongly recommended to go through all tutorials and simulation before going to work with real vehicle.